Welcome to another feature here at fashioneyesta.com.
In todays instalment we are going to be focusing on Natural Cosmetics, where I will be revealing how you can make your own moisturising, beautiful scented bath melts that would make excellent gifts and are easy to adapt to suit any occasion and any individual.
The recipe below is suitable for Vegans and Vegetarians.
Let us begin!
Please Note: Before carrying out any of the recipes I will be sharing with you please consult the guidelines I have provided on my website on essential oil and heat safety via the links below.
Essential Oil Safety: Click here
Hot Plate Safety: Click here
Should you not carefully consult the information provided via the links, responsibility for any incidents occurring are not assumed by Emily Davison founder of fashioneyesta.com.
This recipe makes 2 large bath melts or 4-5 small ones.
You Will Need
- 50 grams of Cocoa Butter.
- 1 tablespoon of Sweet Almond Oil.
- 10-20 drops of essential oil or fragrance oil of your choice.
- A pan
- A glass bowl
- A stirrer
- Bolds in the shapes of your choice
- Dried flowers (optional)
- Fill the pan a quarter of the way up with water.
- Stand the glass bowl or jug in the pan of boiling water and ad the coca butter to the glass jug or bowl to belt. Note if you have a sight impairment I would recommend using heat proof gloves or seek help from another.
- When all of the cocoa butter is melted to an even liquid, remove from the heat and add one tablespoon of sweet almond oil mixed all (alternatives if you have a nut allergy could be Grapeseed oil or Apricot Kernel oil both available from Holland & Barrot.)
- Once removed from the heat, allow to cool as much as possible, but be sure to add essential or fragrance oils before the solution stars to solidify.
- When the mixture is cool enough add essential oils of your choosing. I choose Lavender and Amber for one and Rose for another to give my bath experiences a really relating feel. Then sprinkle dried flower petrels or tiny rose buds into the mixture.
- When ready carefully pour into the moulds and place into the fridge and leave overnight. I prefer to use silicone moulds which you use for catering and baking as it is easier to use without braking the actual mould.
- And there you have it some wonderful, bath melts that are organic, completely cruelty free and smell utterly fabulous.
Essential Oils I Used
Lavender, a wonderful scented fragrance that reminds one of the French Countryside. However. there is more to this flower than one would imagine it is used to help with thing such as stress, the nervous system and calmness. Whats more, it has many benefits for the skin and has been proven to relieve skin complaints such as acne and also aids with things such as respiratory disorders, insomnia, immunity and blood circulation.
Amber is made from a gum resin which has a distinctive sweet, spicy scent. Amber fragrance has many benefits for the hair, skin, nails as well as benefits for your general and mental health. Amongst many things Amber holds anti-aging properties, aids the reparation of wounds and stretch marks and aids to help you relax and unwind.
Rose is one of the wonder essential oils of the natural beauty world, it has been used for thousands of years and has many different properties. It is one of the favoured products that many leading beauty companies use. It reduces inflammation and redness, is an antiseptic and treats spots and other types of skin bacterial infections, it tones and lifts the skin and aids to relieve signs of ageing and balances the skin. Rose also has many medicinal properties and relives stress and has been proven to aid a number of health conditions such as liver problems, bleeding and prevents nerves.
- Please ensure that you only use moulds, bowels, glass beakers and so on that are specifically for Cosmetics making or washed on a high heat to avoid contamination.
- If you plan to give these to friends as gifts be sure to wrap them in grease proof paper.
- Never use any other essential oil apart from Mandarin if you are pregnant.
- If you are unsure about using an essential oils due to health reasons always seek the advice of your doctor.
- If have sight loss and are concerned that you are concerned that you are going to burn yourself please seek help or be sure to use assistive kitchen equipment found on the RNIB website.
So, that concludes our first instalment of Fashioneyesta’s guide to making natural cosmetics, please feel free to send in any requests via the form below or tweet me @DavisonEm.
Catch you next time!